Drive and recover a 4WD vehicle in
Bush & Sand Terrain.
1. This is not a Nationally Recoginised Course. If you require a Statment of Attainment, please click on the following link, as a example: https://australian4wd.com.au/operating-a4wd-vehicle/
2. This Bush, Sand and Advance Recovery Course can be tailoered and delivered to groups of 4 or more participants.
4WD Bush Sand & Recovery Weekend Courses.
Course Dates are detailed below.
Please view our reviews on Google.
To cover the many subjects that we know to be essential for the traveller to enjoy their 4WD journey, we have developed our comprehensive 4WD Bush, Sand & Recovery Training Weekend and expanded upon some of our training elements, providing the “all in one” training package, whilst maximin your practical hands on and driving experience.
The intention is to give you as much opportunity as possible to increase your knowledge, driving skills and confidence on four-wheel driving in a variety of mild to extreme terrain, over the 2-day training weekend.
Gain access to our exclusive “on-Line Course Information”.
Our 4WD Bush, Sand and Recovery Training Weekend covers the skill and knowledge required to use appropriate high & low range, correct gear selection and techniques to drive a 4WD vehicle through and over different bush and sand terrain and coordinating safe vehicle recovery techniques, using a range of recovery equipment.
The aim of this course is to familiarise drivers of the key features, capabilities and limitations of their off road capable vehicle, whilst developing a clear understanding of the correct and safe use of a 4WD vehicle in an off road situation, where protection of their passengers, the vehicle and the environment, can be demonstrated.
To drive a 4WD efficiently requires additional skill, knowledge and confidence. Poor driving habits in a 4WD vehicle can unknowingly increase your maintenance costs considerably, the repercussions of which can be expensive, and at worst life threatening.
Travelling Safely off road and/or around this extensive country enjoying its magical landscape requires some degree of knowledge and experience.
Course Content, In Brief
Although Australian 4WD Trainers can teach you how to use your vehicle off road safely in one day, unfortunately the following skills cannot be packaged into a single day;
- Understanding your legal requirements of the vehicle’s specifications and vehicle dynamics.
- Vehicle inspections, maintenance and trip preparation,
- How a 4WD vehicle works and the 4 types of 4WD vehicles,
- Differences between 4 high range and 4 low range and when to use them,
- Capabilities, limitation, the key features (HDC, 2nd start, ESP, Diff Lockers, turn assist, crawl, etc);
- Vehicles blind spots, turning circles, seating position (for action & safety),
- Correct off road driving techniques, wheel placements (not spinning), correct gear and 4WD range (for maintaining momentum, not speed),
- Sand driving techniques,
- Stuck and incident avoidance.
- Coordinate recovery of a 4WD vehicle, safely without harm, injuries or fatalities, damage to the vehicle and equipment and minimum environmental impact. This will include:
- Risk assessment, eliminating recovery forces, calculating TPR,
- Correctly and safe use of Maxtrax, Tow Straps, Snatch Straps, Vehicle Mounted Winch, Hi-lift & Exhaust Jacks .
- Crash free driving techniques and essential items and equipment for off road driving,
- Environmental appreciation.
- Essential and emergency 4WD equipment.
What to Bring
All you are required to bring with you is:
- Your 4WD Vehicle and driver’s license,
- pen and note pad,
- appropriate outdoor wear, including covered footwear, sunscreen and hat,
- Morning tea, a light lunch and plenty of drinking water,
- Folding chair,
- a tyre gauge, and
- Sand dish mats is recommended (to keep the mud, dirt and sand within the mats).
The commercial activity permit of Australian 4WD and Advanced Driver Education, will allow you to undertake the course, without purchasing your own Vehicle Access permit for Bribie Island. You will be required to stay with the Australian 4WD and Advanced Driver Education group at all times, which includes leaving the beach at the conclusion of the course, unless you have and display your own vehicle access permit.
If you wish to access the beach prior to or after the course you will need to purchase your own permit. The fees are as follows for purchase of your own permit for Bribie Island Recreation Area:
- 1 week or less = $50.60
- more than 1 week (up to 1 year) = $158.00
How to Book your 4WD Bush, Sand and Recovery Training Weekend
If you wish to book, we will require the completion of the course booking form. Please contact us for further information on the Course Booking Form.
Once we receive the course booking form we can enrol you in the course and will then provide a confirmation of your booking.
This Confirmation Will Include
- What to bring.
- Pre-course Assignment (all about you particular vehicle)
- course timings and location
- directions to the location
- course invoice – Which can be paid by direct bank transfer, or credit card over the phone. Payments must be made 7 days prior to the course as dated on your invoice. A reminder will not be sent.
Our weekend course is competitively priced, which covers:
- Both the bush and sand course.
- Both primary driver and you direct partner, both of whom are encouraged to take part in both the theory and practical sessions. Please note:
- a direct partner is (husband / wife / son / daughter, girlfriend, boyfriend / couples, as an example),
- if you chose to bring a mate along, an extra $200, is applicable to the above fee . This is due to the limited spaces available for each weekend course,
- Access to Bribie Island for the duration of the sand course.
- The issue of a Certificate of Attendance for the primary driver and partner upon successful completion.
Our courses provide an excellent opportunity for all participants to develop the knowledge, skills and attributes required to drive a vehicle effectively and safely, in an educative and supportive environment.
Due to the educational nature of our courses and in order to allow all participants to give their full attention to the course and gain the maximum benefit from the course,
- we are limited to 2 people per vehicle (Primary Driver and Direct Partner).
- our driving courses are not suitable for children.
We look forward to your booking
We do hope this information is of assistance; however please do not hesitate to contact us, should you have any further questions.
Kurwongbah, North of Brisbane
For group specific, including Kogan, Mackay, Rockhampton, Cairns, for group bookings.
We can travel anywhere.
Site Specific, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, Cairns, Newcastle.
Corporate or Group Bookings
We can plan and conduct group or corporate specific courses, on request. Please contact us for further information.
Ongoing advice and support.
Partner is welcome to have a drive.
Bush, Sand & Advanced Recovery weekend
31st July & 28th Aug
1st & 29th
9th & 30th
10th & 31st