Please Note: FWPCOT3259: Operate a 4WD on Unsealed Roads has been superseded by FWPCOT3325: Operate a four-wheel drive vehicle on Unsealed Roads
Australian 4wd and Advanced Driver Education – RTO CODE: 31223
FWPCOT3325: Operate a four-wheel drive vehicle on Unsealed Roads
This Operate a four wheel drive on unsealed roads course is a 1 day course that meets the requirements, upon Successful completion, to receive a Statement of Attainment, for the Nationally Recognised Training course “FWPCOT3325: Operate a four-wheel drive vehicle on Unsealed Roads”.
Who would select this course?
This course is has been developed and contextualised for those people working in the Forestry Industry however is entirely appropriate for anyone who is required to safely operate a four wheel drive (4×4) vehicle on unsealed roads and tracks.
The course aim is to provide operators with the skills and techniques for operating a 4×4 vehicle in a variety of work settings, with different terrains.
1. Prepare for operations
1.1 Access, interpret and apply vehicle manufacturer information relevant to operating a four wheel drive vehicle on unsealed roads
1.2 Identify the structural and handling differences between a conventional two wheel drive vehicle and a four wheel drive vehicle
1.3 Determine type of operation and ensure safe operating conditions
1.4 Identify, fit and use suitable personal protective equipment
1.5 Perform pre-start checks
1.6 Establish and check communication with others, including convoy procedures
1.7 Secure loads according to safety, environmental and regulatory requirements
1.8 Research weather and topography for a planned trip on unsealed roads
2. Operate vehicle on unsealed roads
2.1 Check and change tyre pressure suitable for unsealed road according to workplace procedures
2.2 Continually monitor the track to identify hazards, assess risks and select the best route according to safety and environmental requirements
2.3 Identify situations where the engagement of four wheel drive is required and engage front hubs or centre differential lock where fitted
2.4 Use range, gear, speed, driving and braking technique appropriate to surface conditions while maintaining control of vehicle at all times
2.5 Check brake operation and undercarriage after operating vehicle on unsealed road conditions
2.6 Park and shut down vehicle
3. Ascend and descend slopes less than 15 degrees
3.1 Inspect intended vehicle path before negotiation of slope
3.2 Use appropriate range, gear, speed, driving and braking technique to negotiate a slope while maintaining control of vehicle
3.3 Use appropriate braking methods, user applied and vehicle controlled function, where fitted, to descend a slope
3.4 Maintain traction and minimise wheel spin
3.5 Apply appropriate automatic and manual techniques when vehicle cannot proceed any further on a slope
4. Complete operation
4.1 Conduct a post-trip inspection of vehicle
4.2 Complete post-trip documentation, including maintenance and minor repairs reports
Make Specific Course
Australian 4WD & Advanced Driver Education are specialists in on and off road Defensive Driver Training and are able to design, develop and conduct “make-specific” courses.
Our “make-specific” courses not only cover all mandatory Nationally Recognised elements for the FPICOT3325 but are contextualised to ensure they meet the specific requirements of the Employer and their staff.
Additional Course Information.
The course start time is at 07:15, concluding at approximately 3pm.
A4ADE Practical Training Area
A4ADE exclusive Driver Training Facility at Kurwongbah offers terrain which is similar to the terrain that people would be required to drive on in their everyday driving as part of their job. This offers superior opportunities for the development of skills and techniques in these environments rather than a simulated environment or a “make-shift” area artificially developed for driver training.
A4ADE Training Areas
A4ADE have exclusive Driver Training Facilities at Kurwongbah, North of Brisbane .
For group bookings additional training areas to those listed above include Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, Gladstone, Mt Isa, Moranbah, Roma, Toowoomba, however not limited to these areas.
Corporate/Group Booking Training Areas
A4ADE are able to plan, develop and deliver specific course programs for groups or corporate, on request.
Australian 4WD & Advanced Driver Education specialise in the design and implementation of client specific and site specific driver training and education. Training can be delivered for groups on any site (if suitable terrain is available), for group bookings. All courses are portable allowing staff to be trained in locations familiar to their day-to-day use of 4WD and other light vehicles and can be delivered to ensure minimal disruption to shift routine.
What course participants will require to undertake the course
- USI (Unique Student Identifier).
- Your 4WD Vehicle with mounted winch systems (one vehicle can be used for up to 2 participants from the same organisation.
- Should you not have access to a 4WD vehicle, A4ADE will supply a 4WD vehicle with a mounted winch system and all the equipment required for the course; and
- Your vehicle will need at least half a tank of fuel.
- Any recovery equipment supplied with the vehicle. Note: please do not purchase any recovery equipment prior to the course, unless discussed with us. Recovery equipment required will be discussed, during the training.
- Driving license (that will be required for checking prior to course commencement).
- Appropriate clothing – this should be compliant with your companies policy however at a minimum must comprise of long sleeved shirt, long pants, closed shoes with good soles and hat.
- Sunscreen and insect repellent.
- Pad and pen.
- Morning tea and a light lunch with plenty of drinking water in summer months.
A4ADE do have vehicles available for use. The cost of these vehicles includes, vehicle hire for completion of the course, fuel, recovery equipment (where required), cleaning and wear/tear on brakes and tyres.
Vehicle hire fee: 1 day vehicle hire is $155.00 per person, per day.
- The vehicle maybe hired by other course participants, meaning that each vehicle hire may be shared by two participants. This will not have any impact on the amount of drive time that each hirer will experience.
- At times, there maybe more than one vehicle available, that will allow each vehicle hirer to experience a variety of 4WD types.
- If you wish to have exclusive use of a vehicle, then this can be arranged and would be at a cost of $200.00 per vehicle per day.
The hire cost of A4ADE 8 x 4 box trailer is $100.00 per trailer.